Friday, August 23, 2013

10 Days Left: Anticipation

It's starting to get real now. Bit by bit, it's coming into my consciousness that I will soon be leaving familiarity behind for the relatively unknown (I've done enough research in my anxiousness to give me some idea of what I'm doing). I'm feeling very excited, but at the same time, very nervous.

Through a little bit of digging into my student information, I think I have found my unofficial class list. Here's what I'm pretty sure I'll be taking at UCD:
  • Introduction to Sociology - pretty straightforward
  • Irish for Beginners - this should be quite a novel experience
  • Ireland Uncovered - Irish studies class looking at how history, culture, and society have shaped Ireland into what it is today
  • 20th Century War and Peace - International history from World War 1 through 1991
  • Discovering Ireland: Landscape - Archeology class based on field trips and out of class learning. I'm super stoked for this class!
I think if I can manage it, I won't have any lectures or seminars on Fridays, which would be awesome, but we'll see. I also will be auditioning for the symphony orchestra at UCD, so that will be added to my course load, although it's not really a class with lectures and seminars.

In other study abroad news, I've booked my flights. I'll be flying into Dublin direct from Chicago, then flying back to Chicago from London. My plan at the moment is to spend 2 weeks after the semester is over in Europe. First, I'll fly to London for a day and drop off most of my stuff with some family I have there. Then I'll spend 4 or 5 days in both Italy and Spain. Then I'll come back to London for New Years. My high school's marching band will be playing in the parade there so I'm going to go see them, then fly back to Chicago. Overall, it's going to be a great way to spend my winter break.

Now, all I have to do is buy some essentials, pack, and take care of logistics (printing out documents, photocopying my passport, etc). I must admit, having finally taken the MCAT, it's easier to get things done. No more studying-related stress! Now it's just anticipation for my score.With waiting for my test scores, and getting ready for the journey of a lifetime, I almost cannot handle all this excitement and anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment