Thursday, October 3, 2013

Math and Science...How I Miss You

Not much going on during this week. On Monday, my friend's boyfriend came to visit, so our group hung out at her apartment then went to the student bar for some craic. I met some more people, particularly some girls from Purdue who know someone from my high school...small world. Also met two girls from New Zealand, which was awesome. Then at the clubhouse (student bar) I tried a beer called Fosters, which is Australian.

Tuesday was pretty fun too. I don't have classes, so I did my usual errands of grocery shopping and cleaning up around the apartment. Then I went and played pick up soccer with my friend from Syracuse and random students. It was a hell of a lot of fun, but most of them had indoor flats, and all I had was my everyday running shoes. Needless to say, with sub par gear, and having not played soccer in almost 7 years, I was pretty bad. It was still good craic. The only downside was that when I got back to the apartment for a shower, we had no hot water. Thankfully we figured out how to fix it and took care of it.

On Wednesday I had my first seminar section for my sociology class. A few things I noticed: A lot of Irish students have terrible handwriting...like worse than mine, and I'm going to be a doctor. Also, I absolutely cannot understand their accent when they get to talking really fast. I was lost for a good portion of the class. Lastly, I realized I may have not fully thought out what it would be like stepping completely away from math and science. I mean, like, reading long texts and writing essays? What are these things? I miss reading math/science texts around which I could wrap my mind. Right now, I have a sociology essay due in two weeks, and a history essay due in three weeks. Just to do these essays, I'm going to have to do loads of reading on top of all the reading I have to do just to keep up with the class...(feeling stressed).

Today, was a pretty usual day. Just going to class and such. However, I just got back from a talk/seminar/lecture hosted by the Math Society. It was about a day in the life of a statistician in academia. The speaker told us about the different projects she works on, highlighting the breadth of her work, and what kinds of things it entails. Some of it went a little over my head, but it was still very interesting.

Tomorrow my friend from my Scout troop back home comes to Dublin for the weekend, so I'll be busy doing tourist stuff. I'll update about the weekend later.

No comments:

Post a Comment