Thursday, January 2, 2014

Not the Last Goodbye

So many study abroad blogs' last post is about saying goodbye to the host country and all the people. But the way I see it, this isn't goodbye. I know I will see the people I met again, and I know I'll return to Ireland and to the rest of Europe.

UCD, Dublin, and Ireland...It truly has been a great semester. Given my career path, there aren't many other opportunities I would have to meet people from all over the world and travel around Europe like I did. While I love Chicago, I'm going to miss Dublin, the Irish countryside, real Guinness, and the Irish people. Ireland is such a warm and welcoming place and I can't believe I'm leaving. I got so used to life in Ireland!

To all my friends from studying abroad...I am so lucky and fortunate to have met you all. Thank you for helping me become maybe a little less of an ignorant American and a more cultured global citizen. We've had a lot of good times that I know I won't forget, and I hope to see you all again some time. If you're ever in the US, and in Chicago specifically, I hope you'll send me a message. To my roommates, you were the best, and I hope we see each other again soon! And to my American friends from Ireland, I hope we stay in touch and can meet up soon!

To the rest of Europe and the people I met during my traveling...It's been real. Although I'm not a history buff, Europe has been an amazing place. From the sites in Rome/Pisa, to sunny Spain, and to jolly England, I've had the best time of my life. And to all the people, you have been amazing!

Well, I'm just finishing up my packing, and soon I'll be heading to the airport to go home...a bittersweet moment. It seems like I should be going back to Dublin instead. It's crazy to think that exactly 4 months ago, I left for Dublin, basically on a whim. I knew I wanted to study abroad, but I didn't know where, and I basically just randomly chose Ireland...and what a gratifying experience it has been!

To Ireland, Europe, and all my friends here, thank you, and Slainte!


No comments:

Post a Comment