Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pisa

I left for Roma from Dublin on Tuesday afternoon. When we got over Italy, I noticed that there were a lot, and I mean a lot, of football pitches (European football for my American friends). But considering Italy's recent football performances, I was surprised to see so many pitches. When I got to the airport, I took a bus to the main train station, Termini station, which is pretty similar to Union Station in Chicago. From there I took the metro/subway to my hostel, which was in a bit of a shady neighborhood. But my mentality was that I'm from Chicago, from the streets; I can handle myself here.

I crashed at the hostel early so I could wake up for an early train out of Roma to Pisa. From Termini, I took the Frecciabianca to Pisa. It was a very nice ride, with a view of some of the Italian countryside, and for a bit of the journey we were along the Tyrrhenian Sea, which made for some very nice views. Upon arriving in Pisa, I felt suddenly frightened. I didn't know any Italian, and I had no idea where I was going in the town. This is where my Chicago training came in handy. Basically, I just had to walk fast and with a purpose, and pretend like I had to be somewhere important. I wandered around Pisa for a bit until I found the Piazza dei Miracoli. This is the location of the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa. When I got there, I bought my ticket to go to the top of the tower and for the Baptistery and Monumental Cemetery. The tower was truly marvelous; this may sound obvious and stupid, but it really leans. It's one of those things I think you have to see to really appreciate. Anyway, I made the climb up the steps...

Those years of running up Summit in cross country paid off

...and eventually reached the top, where they had a view of Pisa, the mountains, the Piazza, and even a view into the tower. There were also 7 bells, each to the pitches of a scale. I took a video at the top of the tower showing the 360 degree view:




After descending from the tower, I walked around the Cathedral to the Baptistery. I was expecting something grandiose, but it was pretty empty and frankly boring. After the Baptistery, I tried to get into the Cathedral, but I happened to be there during the time they closed it for about an hour. I decided to then go to the monumental cemetery. I didn't really know any of the names there except one...Leonardo de Pisa, also known as Fibonacci, who is famous for the rise of the Arabic/Hindu number system in the west, as well as for the famous number sequence (1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21...). Interesting note: he didn't actually discover the sequence, but simply used it in his book Liber Abaci. To honor him, there was a statue.




Now, I decided to go to Pisa because of it's significance in scientific history. In addition to being home to Fibonacci, Pisa is famous as the home of Galileo Galilei. Although it is disputed whether or not Galileo dropped balls of different weights from the Leaning Tower, Pisa and the Piazza dei Miracoli still have a resounding significance for the scientific community, in my opinion. It is also thought that Galileo formulated theories on simple harmonic motion after seeing a swinging lamp inside the Cathedral. While I'm not the biggest fan of physics, it's still cool to think about the innovation and discovery that may have occurred in Pisa.

After a few more pictures and walking around the Piazza, I left to get some lunch at a place called Kiste's where I had a big Pizza, fries, and drink for only 7 euros. Compared to what I was used to paying for food, this was quite a bargain. After lunch, I decided to just wander around Pisa. They were starting to get Christmas decorations up, and there were both locals and tourists walking around. I eventually stopped in the Little Star Cafe for a pastry, where the man behind the counter, after realizing I didn't speak Italian asked where I was from. When I said Chicago, he said his sister is living in Chicago on the north side. It was very cool to see how connected everyone is. I then headed back to the train station to wait for my train back to Roma.

When I got back to Roma, I met up with my friend from Scouts who is studying at the Loyola center in Roma. He took me briefly around the city, to Piazza Navona and the outside of Vatican City. We stopped at a place for a panini, and then I left for my hostel. Overall, it was a great day. Here are some photos from Pisa...

On the way to the Tower

Just to give a reference of how much it leans...keep in mind the smaller statue is well in the foreground.

The Baptistery, where Galileo was Baptized. 

The Cathedral


Walking along the streets of Pisa...



Next up...Vatican City!

No comments:

Post a Comment