Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Black Monday

Yesterday was the first day of class for me. I had my Intro to Sociology and Irish for beginners classes. Sociology was pretty cool. The professor is really cool, chill, and funny. Should prove to be a relatively easy and straightforward class. Irish, on the other hand, might be difficult. We only learned to ask someone what there name is, and how to reply, and I already thought the language was confusing. Each consonant has either broad or short pronunciation, depending on the vowels surrounding it, and the pronunciation of the words is different than expected. This will take some getting used to.

On a slightly more positive note, I was able to change the time of my history seminar so that I no longer have class on Fridays. I also don't have class on Tuesday except for a field trip one week. It's going to be a good semester.

So here at UCD, they have a tradition called Black Monday (there is also a Black Friday). On the first day of class, all the students basically go out drinking and get plastered. Most students go to the student bar on campus then into the city center to pubs or night clubs. In order to go along with the traditions, my friends and I went to the liquor store. We then went to another person's apartment and played Kings Cup. It was pretty fun, but nerve-wracking for me, as it was my first time playing, and drinking all together is a new experience for me. But it was cool since I got to meet a lot of Irish freshman. I also tried cider for the first time, and it was pretty good.

After Kings Cup, we took a cab into the city center to go to a club. We had a really cool cab driver who gave us some tips about the club and getting to and from the city center without being ripped off. When we got the club, it looked empty, but after about 10 minutes we learned that the entrance was in an alleyway behind it, so we ended up really far back in line. Before we got in though, our group realized that we weren't really in the mood for a club. Also everyone but me had class the next day, so they didn't want to go crazy. So then we went across the street to Eddie Rockets (the Irish version of Johhny Rockets diner) to have dinner. We then got a cab back to UCD.

Now, as today was the day that everyone else basically got drunk, I got to see what some of the Irish were like when they were drunk. First, on our way back from the liquor store, three drunk students tried to force wine on my friends and I, and even went so far as to chase one my friends until they tripped over themselves. Then while playing Kings Cup, one of the freshman was very stupid and kept downing his hard alcohol, so by the end he was trashed. Since there were a number of Americans, he wouldn't stop asking us about our opinions of the situation in Syria. Despite numerous attempts to shut him up, he was belligerently sticking to his guns, that is until he got sick and was in the bathroom for the rest of the night. Lastly, while we were waiting for a cab home, a drunk Irish guy in a rickshaw was talking to a friend on his phone, looked at me, and told his friend he was on a corner near a Pakistani guy. When I told him I wasn't, he yelled at me for lying, then asked my friend next to me where I was from. Then when she said we were American, he gave us both high fives and rode off. So yeah, drunk Irish people are quite the characters. Overall, a good Black Monday. Maybe Black Friday will be a little more crazy though.

Today I don't have class, so I'm going to do some grocery shopping. Then I have my orchestra audition later tonight...definitely should have practiced more over the summer. Oh well, I'll at least be able to join the jazz society here if I don't get in, but I'm not too worried. The music is pretty easy I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment